Student houses and rubbish collection at the end of term
When you are moving out at the end of the year there are a few simple steps you can take to reduce the amount of rubbish you have left
- Remember to put out your rubbish and recycling regularly - this is even more important at the end of your tenancy as everybody always has lots more to throw out before they try and pack the car for the journey home.
- Try to think about what you may no longer need when you finish university and stagger throwing away those items so that they are not all left until moving out day.
- Keep an eye on the calendar so that you are aware of which week the council will be collecting the black bin bag rubbish and throw out your rubbish then.
What you should do with your rubbish before you move out...
If your black bag collection isn't due until a week after you are due to move out remember:
- Never place the black bag waste bag out on your green collection week! Either contact us to see if there is an extra collection due by the council.
- If you or your friends have a car you can take your black bags to the nearest Community Recycling Centre.
Please visit the Recycling Sites in Swansea page for a list of Community Recycling Centres and what materials they collect.
If you have a lot of furniture and large electrical appliances to dispose of...
There are a few options available to you:
- You can phone 01792 635600 to organise a bulky collection from the council - there is a small charge but you may be able to share the cost with fellow housemates.
- You can phone local reuse charities/companies who offer the facility to collect unwanted furniture and electrical appliances from your household.
Phone 01792 635600 or visit Swansea Community Recycling Alliance Partnership page to see a list of local reuse charities/companies and their contact details.
You can also find out where to recycle lots more on the council’s Recycling Wheel pages.